Letter to the Community
Dear Parents and Community Members:
We look forward to beginning the 2021-2022 school year and having all of our students back at school. All students will be returning to Marathon for in-person learning beginning September 7th. Marathon will follow CDC and Department of Health guidelines, with safety as our top priority.
Marathon Central School District’s COVID related guidelines for the 2021-2022 school year are outlined below. These may change as new information becomes available. Cortland County Level of Community Transmission can be found on the CDC's Covid Data Tracker. Parents will be notified of any changes to the plan through email, ParentSquare and the school website.
- Our summer protocols will come to an end on Friday, September 3rd. Beginning Tuesday, September 7th all students and staff will wear a mask, regardless of vaccination status, when inside our school buildings or on our school buses. Masks will not be required outside of buildings, though social distancing will be encouraged.
- Masking will allow our classrooms to return mostly to normal. Because we will all be in masks, seating can be flexible. This will allow students to be seated at tables and in arrangements that allow student and staff collaboration. Mask breaks will continue to be implemented and will be designed based on the current guidance.
- Parents and faculty did an excellent job of staying home when sick last year. We will continue to ask parents to take students' temperatures before coming to school and making sure students who are exhibiting COVID symptoms stay home. We will not be asking parents or staff to complete a daily COVID screen based on the commitment to following these guidelines last year.
- Students or staff who come to school with COVID symptoms will be sent home and will need a doctor's note or a negative COVID test and no symptoms to return. Vaccinated individuals do not need a doctor's note or a COVID test to return, but must be symptom free with no fever for 24 hours.
- Our goal for the 2021-22 school year is to stay open for full-time, in-person instruction, for all of our students, for the entire school year. We believe we can do this safely. COVID related public health measures will be implemented with this goal in mind.
Our reopening plan incorporates recommendations and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH)and theNew York State Education Department (NYSED). It includes all district assurances to NYSED as well as the elements outlined in the New York State Department of Education and Department of Health guidance documents. We look forward to getting back to normal. With the help of our school community, this possibility will come sooner rather than later. Thank you for all you do to keep our students and staff safe.
Superintendent of Schools
1 Park St. Marathon, NY 13803